March 16, 2009

Does reapolstering jump start labor?

I hope so!
So since baby Oliver doesn't realize how much fun birthday parties are, I have been keeping myself busy with this:


I found two wing back chairs on Craigslist for $20! This one which I refer to the boy and another one with curvier lines whom of course is the girl. Boy chair is currently under going some plastic surgery, when finished he will have a new chocolate brown fabric and bright white legs and I'm thinking him and his wife will look stunning in our soon to be sitting room/library! Oh I am very excited, and a bit nervous since I have never so much as sewn a pillow case before.

I will keep you updated as I go, here is what we have done so far:
  1. Pulled staples, one section at a time. This may seem easy enough, but it is VERY time consuming! We are using a flat head screw driver to loosen the staples and then a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them.
  2. Vacuum up bugs! We made the dreadful mistake of begining this project indoors and without bug killer by our sides. Who knew antique furniture could be so disgusting! I suggest keeping bug killer and the vacuum nose by your side, spray then suck! Other treasures we have found in our chair: hercules doll, dvd, hair brush...
  3. Trace fabric pieces onto our new fabric, cut out, and label where it goes. We are also sure to keep all other metal and cardboard pieces and label where we took them off (just in case).
  4. Sand chair legs and prep for painting.
So that's where we are so far on our waiting for baby project. I will keep you updated as we go so you can hopefully learn from my mistakes and perhaps even be inspired to do your own reapolstering project!

1 comment:

tiff said...

*AWESOME* find!!! so cool. i love wingback chairs. they're going to look so cool when you're finished. we did some reupholstering of some barstools right after we got married. my mom & dad had a bar that they gave us for our new house when we moved to virginia, and it had a fabric front and cushy barstools, and they were an ugly brown. i agree--taking those big fat staples out is not easy! and the staple gun was LOUD. lol. maybe if you use a staple gun it'll wake oliver up and he'll realize it's time for him to make his appearance! heehee.